Below are the ingredients.
- You can use any grade of maple syrup for this recipe. Just remember, the darker the syrup, the richer the taste.
- It’s also important to use course cornmeal such as Bob’s Mills. This will give your bread a better texture and make it more porous.
- Always mix your dry ingredients first before adding in the wet. This will eliminate any “salt bites” or “baking powder” bites in your finished product.
- Make a well with your dry ingredients and start incorporating in your wet. Pull the flour into the well and continuously whisk with a fork.
- The inside of the well should get bigger and bigger as more flour and wet ingredients are incorporated
- Once all of the ingredients are combined, use a whisk to smooth out any clumps.
- In the first picture, I showcase this recipe made in a muffin pan. The pan used is an enamel, which makes the muffins extra browned along the sides:) Another great way to cook this recipe is in a cast-iron skillet. This method is showcased in the picture below.
- A southern trick to exceptionally delicious and browned cornbread is to use a heated and buttered cast-iron skillet. Once the pan is hot, and your butter has browned, pour it in the batter and place it in the oven. The cast-iron will allow the bottom and sides of the cornbread to brown:)
- Depending on the size of your pan (whether you are using a muffin pan or a cast-iron skillet, this recipe works best in a 9″ skillet), the bread will take about 20-30 minutes to cook. You want to leave the cornbread in the oven until the top starts to brown, and when you insert a toothpick or cake tester inside the bread, it comes out clean.
Serve with a heaping spread of warm salted butter!
Did you try this recipe?Click here and let us know how it was! Tag @apurepalate and #apurepalate! on Instagram
Maple Cornbread Muffins
I love this cornbread because it’s so versatile. It is always a hit on every occasion and season. It can be a magnificent side dish to any meal or stand alone as the perfect breakfast or brunch item. You can’t go wrong. The sweetness from the maple syrup makes it genuinely addictive!
- 1 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, syrup, butter, and eggs. (The pictures above show each wet ingredient added individually. You can do it this way as well.)
- Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Butter a standard size loaf pan or a 9” cast-iron skillet. If using a cast-iron skillet, heat it with the butter in the oven until the butter has browned. Pour in batter.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Calories: 453kcalCarbohydrates: 85gProtein: 12gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 687mgPotassium: 381mgFiber: 5gSugar: 29gVitamin A: 239IUCalcium: 321mgIron: 3mg